Friday, December 5, 2008

Moods

Mood(noun)-"A state of mind, emotion. An inclination; disposition."

Oh yes, I have many moods and very seldom am I in the mood to clean. It is just not in my disposition to want to clean a lot. So today I actually had the inclination to clean my kitchen top to bottom. It may have something to do with the Pine-sol smell while I am pregnant or maybe just the fact that my husband has been gone all week and I need at least one room in the house presentable when he gets home. I started right after lunch, finished up and enjoyed the clutter-free countertops and clean sink for about an hour before I decided I was in the mood to make gingerbread dough. Not as clean but I can still smell the Pine-sol. Another moment, another mood.

I used the recipe from the Scovil Bakery in Nauvoo, Illinois for the first time. I love their cookies and I am not usually one to like a gingerbread cookie. Hopefully they are as good from my kitchen as they are from theirs. If not, I will know it is the extra bit of history and years of experience there in Nauvoo that make them the best. They must sit in the refrigerator for a little while so when the time is right they will begin new lives as little gingerbread girls and boys.

Here is the recipe if you are interested, the recipe makes a lot of dough:
1 cup sugar
1 cup sorghum or molasses
3/4 c oil or lard
1/2 cup hot water

Combine the above and then add:
2 eggs

Mix together the following:
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ginger
6 or 7 cups of white flour

Combine everything together and form dough.
Refrigerate dough overnight
Roll out and cut with cutters
Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes

To roll out the dough we (the bakery) use Pam in place of flour

Cookies freeze well and are softer and more flavorful after freezing/

3 comments:

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

I am going to have to file this reciepe away to use!
I enjoy a clean house too . . . it is just getting it there that I don't like. Although I am on a cleaning binge. My reasoning is the same as yours. Cary is out of town and comes back Sunday!
I didn't even know that you were pregnant! Congratulations on it being a boy! I know you know this, but they are VERY different than girls!

JessDowns said...

Goodness! Those Scovil Bakery cookies were amazing! Just yesterday I was looking at my little yellow recipe card, debating over whether or not I should dive into the attempt of making gingerbread boys and girls for a bridal shower I threw today. I opted out, feeling the weight of finals, and bought some lovely ones from a bakery. But they were only boys. No girls. Scovil wins.You win!

Colton Anne said...

Sounds fun and I think I remember those being really good!