Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween


I can't say that I enjoy Halloween a lot. I definitely avoid the spooky, scary side of it as much as possible. I have noticed some houses in the neighborhood go all out and there yards are filled with as much as they can fit in every square inch. There is a house not too far down the road that has a lot skulls and dummies hanging from the trees. Definitely a morbid sense of humor and I say to each his own.

I enjoy watching my girls in their costumes and there wide-eyed discovery that yes, strangers really do put candy in my bag if I ring their doorbell. Last night, Anna was the experienced one as she raced ahead. We had a hard time reigning her in and had to ask her many times to just wait for Megan before she rang the doorbell. Both of the girls were on there best behavior for the most part and said thank you to almost everyone. Gordon and I walked with the girls and we all stayed out about 45 minutes. The weather was perfect and no jackets were needed here in Missouri. Megan was pretty funny to watch. As soon as she was finished at one door and before it was even closed she would yell out "Let's go to the next one!". The stars were out in the sky and every time she looked up she would sing out the song "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". She was the most excited when someone gave her a sucker and she was sure to let me know about it.

Here are the girls in their costumes. Anna was a bunny and Megan really liked being a flower. The costumes were really easy to put together with stuff we had on hand with a few things we bought at the craft store. Grandma Shaw helped sew a fleece tummy on Anna's pink top and pants. Martha Stewart helped out with Megan's flower collar. Felt squares cut into petal shapes, backed with craft-fuse and glued into bias tape to tie around her neck. I used RIT dye to change the color of her white shirt to 'Sunshine Yellow'. Anna has already told me she wants to be a banana for Halloween next year so I better get started on that one because I have no ideas!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Wow what curly hair Megan has! And it's getting long too!