Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mommy's Time-Out

Last Friday I went to Omaha with three friends to a Time-Out for Women. For those of you who aren't familiar with Time-out for Women, it is a two day event with several speakers and music. Topics range from relationships with your spouse to your own relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I learned some new things but also remembered a few things I had forgotten. Nothing wrong with a refresher course once and awhile, especially while my children are absent so I can concentrate! Thanks to my loving husband I enjoyed myself thoroughly without my children there. Gordon stayed home with the girls and I missed them all by the time I returned late in the evening on Saturday.

Anja, Mandy, Carrie, and I had a great girls' out weekend. I highly recommend the hotel we stayed at in Omaha. The Magnolia Hotel is an older building renovated into a hotel. The rooms were right out of a travel magazine with blues and chocolate brown, very modern and I never saw one child the whole time! After we returned Friday night from Time-Out they had milk and cookies in the lobby. We lounged next to the fireplace and could of fallen asleep there but the hotel didn't offer any kind of shuttle service to our room. We made it back to our room to enjoy the chocolate stash we had all brought to share. There was definitely no shortage of chocolate but after the milk and cookies downstairs, we only made a small dent in our pile of chocolate. We had a great time laughing and just enjoyed each other's company. So nice to enjoy adult conversation without a little one demanding something at the same time. Good times!

One of the speakers on Saturday was Elie Gourgouris. I think he had a Ph.D in family relations or something like that. Anyway, he talked about the language of love. Everyone has a love language or how they like love expressed the best. He explained them as being in the form of:
~gifts
~words of encouragement or appreciation
~physical touch
~quality time
~or acts of service
Especially in a marriage, one person may prefer one over the other. He first asked, "What is your love language?" and then he asked, "What about those you love?" I thought these were great questions that I am still finding the answer to. Good questions to ask about any relationship in our lives, no?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Missy! Your blog is really nice! It's so nice to be spiritually inspired and get to be with good friends in the process. It sounds like it was very relaxing! You deserve it. Addison and I will enjoy reading your new blog and hopefully see pictures of the girls! Let me know when you find out next month!!!! ~Krystal