Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken Gyros

I just wanted to pass on a good recipe. I made it for lunch the other day when I had some friends over but it works for dinner too. It comes from a book of recipes for rotisserie chicken that you buy at the store (yeah Costco!) but I used cut up chicken too and just cooked it in the marinade. I also buy the soft wheat flatbread in the deli section but you could probably used pitas or tortillas too.

Chicken Gyros

SAUCE:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber (I cut out the seeds, but not necessary)
2 T light sour cream (optional)
1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper

MARINADE:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
pinch of salt
8 slices of rotisserie chicken or two chicken breasts, sliced

SANDWICH:
1 pkg flatbread
torn up lettuce
1 large tomato, chopped
red onion

Stir the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside
For the marinade, combine all the ingredients except for the chicken in a 12 inch non-stick skillet. Stir together. Place rotisserie chicken slices flat in skillet and spoon the marinade over the top or brown the raw chicken in the marinade until done. Remove from skillet when done and assemble your sandwich. Heat the bread and then top with chicken, sauce, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Enjoy

2 comments:

Marissa and Jim said...

Thanks for the recipe. I remembered about it right as I was driving away from your home. Such a yummy lunch. Thanks again for inviting me.

Claresa Dea said...

Hooray for this recipe!! So yummy! Thanks so much for sharing it, and making it.